Mental Health Matters
Episodic Health would like to share some of the ways South Africans can take care of their mental health:
- Don’t try to drink away your feelings: Many people drink to change how they feel but, unfortunately, the effects are short-lived. Drinking is not a good way to manage difficult feelings especially since you would need more and more alcohol each time to feel the same short-term boost. There are healthier ways of coping with
- Talk about what’s going on for you: You might worry that talking about your feelings is a sign of weakness, but it is crucial for your wellbeing. Talking can help you cope with a problem that’s been taking up space in your head for a while. Even just the feeling of being listened to can help you feel more supported and less
- Ask for help: The first step towards solving any problem is recognising that you have a problem. The next is to realise that there are people who can help. Your GP is trained to recognise mental health issues and can help you begin your recovery journey. With our day-to-day cover, you can see your doctor as often as you need
- Take your medication regularly: If your doctor prescribes medication, taking it regularly can reduce symptoms. You might have to try different medicines before you find the one that works for you. Our Medication cover gives you unlimited access to Acute and Chronic medicine on our
- Ensure that you exercise: Experts have found that exercise releases chemicals in your brain that make you feel good. It also keeps the brain and your other vital organs healthy. Aim to do about 30 minutes’ exercise at least five days a week. Try doing a physical activity that you enjoy and making it part of your
- Eat well: Just like the other organs in your body, your brain needs a mix of nutrients in order to stay healthy and function well. A diet that’s good for your physical health is also good for your mental health. Make sure that you eat a healthy, balanced diet that includes lots of different types of fruit and vegetables, wholegrain cereals and bread, nuts and seeds, dairy products and oily fish. Remember to drink plenty of water too.
Your mental health matters! Go to https://www.episodic.co.za/health/ to get a personalised quote instantly.